Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Experience of a Lifetime

After being back in the United States for about 2 weeks now, I am finally having enough time to make my last blog post about my trip. Looking back on my experience, I wonder how I got to be so lucky. I would have never been able to travel out of the country without the help and support of the Fulbright Commission. Not only was I able to travel, I became part of a prestigious and wonderful programme known worldwide. I feel so honored and indebted to the Fulbright Commission for the experience that they gave me this summer. Coming into the Summer Institute, I knew nothing about Wales. I have vastly expanded my knowledge on this amazing country, but that is not all. I learned about myself academically, socially, and personally. I formed strong relationships with the most amazing 7 students I could have imagined to spend my summer with, but most importantly, I had the time of my life. This past summer is something I will remember forever. I am already looking forward to the next time I will be able to see my cohort again and when I will be able to make it back to Wales. Thank you so much to the Fulbright Commission and especially Rebecca Cobby. Without your help and support, I would have never had this life-changing opportunity. In Cardiff: thanks to Bill, Cerys, Rhys, Ed, and the rest of the Cardiff staff. In Bangor: thanks to Tecwyn, Molly, and the rest of the Bangor staff. In Aberystwyth: thanks to Rachel, Kate, Jen, and of course Iona. I miss you all already! You made this summer one that I'll remember forever. Coming back home was bittersweet; I got to see my family, friends, and sorority sisters, but I had to part ways with 7 of the closest friends I've ever had. Teary goodbyes in the airport will hopefully be followed next summer with a cheerful reunion. I will be talking about my trip for weeks to come in my boring life here back in Kentucky. I still can't believe that I was chosen for such an amazing experience; I have so much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment