Friday, June 22, 2012

Just a little bit of a delay

I thought I was leaving for Wales today...Psych! After today, I absolutely hate airports! So much has happened today that I feel physically and emotionally exhausted. (Okay, I'm a little dramatic but it was such a terrible day!) I got to the airport about 2 and a half hours early. I made it through security, got some British pounds, and then reached my gate to discover that my 4:11 flight had been delayed until 5:15. No biggie you might say, but this prevented me from making my connection flight from JFK airport to London. I was switched to an earlier flight out to JFK that would allow me to make the connection, but then this flight got cancelled! I lugged my huge duffel, heavy backpack, and purse to the help counter to wait 30 minutes to be assigned back to my original 5:15 flight to JFK with a later connection flight to London. I thought the problem had finally been fixed, but then I reach the gate and realized the 5:15 flight had been delayed to 6:15. This would have only given me 35 minutes to make my connection in JFK. Willing to take the risk, I asked advice from my dad who highly discouraged me from doing it fearing that I would be stuck in JFK overnight. Welp, I didn't even have to make the decision because before I could, that flight was also cancelled. Turns out New York had some really bad thunderstorms. I ran my way to the help desk to beat the mad rush of the customers from the 4 total cancelled flights, but was extremely unsuccessful. When I got there, the line was about 20 people deep. After talking to an agent at a phone station, I am scheduled to leave out of CVG tomorrow morning and arrive in London at 10:45pm their time tomorrow night. I am praying tomorrow goes smoothly and ends up nothing like today did. To add to the chaos of all the cancelled flights, it took me over an hour to get my checked bag back. I swear to you I could have filmed one of those airport reality television shows like On the Fly. I probably sweat off about 5 lbs from carrying bags from gate to gate and back again, but my hopes are still high! The staff at Cardiff University have been very helpful and understanding and are making arrangements for me to be picked up much later than originally planned (about 12 hours).  I can't wait to FINALLY (hopefully) get to Wales tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment