Monday, July 23, 2012

7/22/12

Internet is back! And we're working on either getting a new flat or making do with the one we currently have. (First world problems) But Aber is amazing! When we arrived, we checked into our flats, then went out to dinner at a nice Greek restaurant. I had never had Greek before, so I can add that onto my list of new things I've tried since coming to Wales. After dinner, we went for a walk along the water. I was thrilled to see the beach and stick my feet in the sand! Although the water is too cold to swim in, there were people having bon fires and shooting off fireworks on the beach. We're definitely planning on having a bon fire before we leave. The weather has been so nice since we've been here! To get from town (where the beach is) back to our flat, it's quite a hike up a big hill. Yesterday we went to a mansion here in Wales that was designed by the same architect that built Buckingham Palace. It was really insightful to see how the wealthy lived hundreds of years ago. The place was beautiful; it had a mansion, gardens, a farm, chapel, and a lake. So much for modesty! After the mansion, we went to get fish and chips in Aberaeron at a place that was voted best fish and chips in all of Wales. I must admit, it was pretty tasty! I really wish that the states had more fish and chip shops. They're quite yummy. Then we headed back home and spent last night working on journals (I guess lack of internet forces productivity). Macey, Chrissy, and I stayed up late talking so we didn't get much sleep last night. Poor Macey has been sick, so she's going to see the doctor today. Hopefully she's feeling better soon. This morning we were welcomed by one of the vice chancellor's; he was so nice and funny. When I told him that I was pre-med, he went down to his office and came back up with a styrofoam box. I opened it and inside was a human skull! He said they found it when they were cleaning out one of the buildings on campus and they think it is from when the university was founded in the early 1800's. The skull even had a huge crack in the top from what they think is a sword. It was super cool, and I got to hold it! So far, Aberystwyth is turning out to be amazing. Different from Cardiff and Bangor, and something new. To make the most of our last 2 weeks in Wales, we've made a to-do list with the fun things we want to do before we leave. 13 more days left, so we're living it up!
 Overlooking the water on the beach in Aber

 Some of us on our first night here

 Rolling hills right by the ocean...can it get any more beautiful?!

 Feet in the sand! 


 Danny and I 



 Mansion we visited (same architect designed Buckingham Palace)

 Gardens at the mansion 

 Chrissy. Love her :)


 The lake at the mansion 

All of us at the lake (minus Macey) with our course director, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment